Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Every Day is a New Day!

I think I am still in shock or it has not hit me that I can actually hear fairly well with my right ear. I sometimes think it is a temporary thing and not forever. That I am trying out a new hearing aid or something. It continues to be a bizarre experience of hearing sounds that a normal person would hear. I always thought I could hear very well with the support of my hearing aids. I guess I thought the hearing aids gave me normal hearing, but actually it brought my levels up to a conversational level. At this level I did not hear all those soft and high pitch sounds that actually alert you of what is going on in the environment.

Everyday is a new day and I continue to discover new sounds and new ways of doing things. Today, I was in one of my bathrooms curling my hair and my implant went flying onto the metal of my curling iron! I thought this was hilarious! So, I now know to not curl the hair with the implant on! Then when I was in the bathroom, I heard a buzz from the other bathroom which let me know that the dryer completed it's cycle. Then, I was in the kitchen and I heard the same buzz three times which meant the washer was done. Crazy!

Tonight, I had the opportunity to go back to my old part time job of being an advocate for a teenager who has Autism. I worked at the Jewish Community Center and the camp for three years. This camp was in Minneapolis and it was Art Fest week. This was my first time being around many teenagers (about 100!) with the implant on. The noise did not bother me too much and I was able to understand most of the teenagers when they talked to me.

One interesting discovery was hearing my camper talking to himself and making noises while walking behind me. I guess he must have always done this in the past and now I actually hear it. It brought a smile to my face, I was able to understand his behaviors a little more. Then, we walked out to the outdoor pool. From across the pool, I heard someone calling my name. It was my old supervisor and he along with myself was surprised I actually heard it!

After swimming, all the campers gathered around the campfire to sing songs. The first song was the Hebrew version of Happy Birthday. It was Israel's 60th birthday this year as a country. I have heard this song numerous times during my three years at Camp Butwin, but I truly understood the words. Tonight, I was able to sing along :). There were many other Jewish songs that I never could grasp in the past, but I felt like I discovered the Hebrew language for the first time tonight! I was actually able to sing along! On top of that I was able to hear people around me singing the songs which never happens. It always sounded garbled and this experience allowed me to feel included.

One of my biggest fears of getting the cochlear implant was losing my identity as someone in the deaf world. In the past week, I have found that nothing has changed. I am still going about life the same way I have in the past, hanging out with friends who are hearing and deaf. My friends are my friends no matter what with the implant or not. I feel very fortunate and this whole process made me realize how lucky I truly am with the never-ending support of friends. Thank you!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Krissy,

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I really enjoy reading it and hope to refer it to my future students/friends who decide to get an implant. I admire you and really am excited for you to have it!
(In case,you don't remember me... we met at Lisa M. 's party. I hope to see ya soon again!) Keep up the great job!:) Kathy Manlapas

Anonymous said...

Krissy - I am so happy tht everything is going well! I have been following along and was thrilled to know that all the appointments are going well. We love you!

The Bruns Family

Polack Orange said...

I love this entry. I can just picture you laughing in the bathroom with the curling iron.

Anonymous said...

Kristine,
It has been a while since I read your blog...but the entries have kept me captivated by all of the new things you have been able to experience and hear. Nature sounds, zippers in the bathroom....all things that many of us take for granted....(though I secretly wish I didn't hear the washing machine right now...ours is noisy :) I am so happy to hear you are feeling good about the surgery and experience. Much love, Heidi G

KC said...

Thank you all for your comments. Your support is greatly appreciated! Krissy

dawn224 said...

I would have loved to have seen your face when your implant hit the curling iron - please tell me you didn't burn your fingers!